Back to projects
PSP were appointed by Wolfson College to provide full quantity surveying services on a project to upgrade their existing Buttery and Old Lodge into a high-end and fully accessible multi-functional space. The refurbishment required installation of specialist lighting and audio-visual equipment to allow it to be used for seminars and lectures.
The existing spaces were stripped out and opened up whilst also creating discrete kitchen and servery facilities. Additional light was provided by removal of an existing external concrete wall panel, replaced with glass, together with enlarged roof lights. Oak flooring, ceiling slats and wall panelling emphasise the high quality finish required. Mechanical and electrical installations were upgraded to complement the remodelled spaces. Other improvements included relaying of the roof coverings incorporating additional insulation, new accessible toilet facilities and alterations to staff areas. Specialist servery and kitchen equipment was also installed.
The original 1970s Powell and Moya building is sited in an internal courtyard which constrained access and made the project relatively complex to manage on site. The new installations include:
• A double-glazed full height window replacing an original pre-cast concrete wall panel
• New roof coverings and replacement of existing roof lights
• Oak flooring throughout to match the existing buttery floor
• Oak ceiling slats set into the concrete frame structure
• Bespoke lighting tracks to the perimeter of the ceiling slats
• Replacement of M&E systems with a new attenuated ventilation system
• Bespoke lighting systems allowing variations in colour to suit the use of the spaces
• High quality concealed audio visual systems set into timber panelling and ceiling slats.
The project was procured traditionally under a JCT Intermediate Building Contract 2016 with Contractor’s Design elements. Thorough interviews were carried out post tender to ensure the project complexity was fully understood and included in the tender pricing and programming.