Back to projects
PSP were appointed by Wadham College to provide full quantity surveying and CDM services on the project to refurbish the 17th century Grade II* Listed Staircase 9 to provide en-suite facilities to single and double-set study bedrooms.
The scheme comprised the entire refurbishment of the existing building to provide en-suite accommodation to existing double-set study rooms by utilising space behind the staircase which had previously been used for storage. Large sash windows were restored and fitted with bespoke secondary glazing. The fireplaces were opened up to form a recess and original features such as panelled doors, cornicing, skirtings, picture rails and panelling were all retained to preserve the historical context. Dormer windows were reclad in lead and existing Stonesfield slates were stripped, sorted and reused to the Parks Road elevation with new slates introduced to the elevation facing Back Quad. Lead downpipes were re-introduced to the front elevation. Lightwells were formed to the front elevation to provide natural light and ventilation to new bedroom spaces.
The Listed status of the building meant that refurbishment was sensitive to the 17th century nature of many historical features but allowed for the introduction of new 21st century requirements including.
- Rewiring of the lighting and small power circuits in all rooms including IT and data
- Provision of new hot and cold water and plumbing off existing installations
- Rationalising plant room spaces including replacement of calorifiers
- Repairs to existing sash, casement and dormer windows, all to match existing
- Repairs to timber treads and risers to the main staircase
- Restoration of plastered walls and ceilings
- Restoration and upgrading of existing internal doors to form a protected staircase
- Repaving externally including new ramps and handrails
The project was procured traditionally under a JCT Standard Building Contract 2011 with contractor’s design elements. Bills of quantities were used to maximise the competitive process and provide clear and detailed cost for the management of change post contract. Feltham Construction were appointed to manage both this project and the Graduate Centre at the same time.