Back to projects
Due to increasing demand for primary school places, St joseph’s Catholic Primary School in Headington secured funding for the construction of a new 4-classroom block as well as other internal alterations to the existing school building to provide modern facilities for the children of the school. The project also included new external play areas to comply with current curriculum requirements.
The new facility was linked to the existing school by extending into existing courtyard spaces. 400m2 of classroom, corridor and WC facilities were added, kitchen facilities were reinstated, and new computer rooms provided. The existing staff room was also extended. Little-used external areas were brought into use by the provision of dedicated play areas for Key Stage 1 children.
The new building is constructed from brick and glazed facades with glulam columns and beams providing the main structural support to the monopitch single-ply roof. Aluminium cladding at eaves, gables and ridge enhance the modern addition to the 1950’s existing single-storey flat roof building.
Other characteristics include:
- Sustainable drainage system installed with overflow swale
- Play areas moulded by reuse of topsoil and felled trees
- Car park enlarged by incorporating tree-root protection in restricted areas
- New toilet facilities provided throughout
The project was procured traditionally under a JCT Intermediate Building Contract 2011 with contractor’s design elements. Bills of quantities were used to maximise the competitive process and provide clear and detailed cost for the management of change post contract. Benfield & Loxley Construction were appointed on the basis of phased completion with emphasis on use of the new facilities for the start of the new school year in September 2014.