Back to projects
PSP were appointed by Bloxham Mill to provide full Quantity Surveying and Project Management services to deliver a refurbishment of the existing office and kitchen space. the new collaborative working space, called ‘The Hive’. Works included for a complete soft strip-out, construction of new open plan space, new self-service kitchen, MEP services, floor and wall finishes and joinery to form office and meeting areas as well as ‘Zoom’ room.
The project appointment started as a review of previous design proposal and associated costs. After a PSP review it was found to not be affordable as well as not akin to the client brief.
An alternative procurement approach was discussed with the client to ensure that the project deliverable can be achieved. PSP with the design team provide a revised scope of works which was then further negotiated with the nominated contractor.
The main installations and alterations to the building include:
- Connection to the existing building of the new reinforced slab and services avoiding the existing services
- External cladding to match the neighbouring buildings comprised of reclaimed bricks and tiling
- Specialist equipment to the servery
- Specialist catering equipment to the main kitchen, pastry, pot wash and changing rooms
- Specialist storage spaces including a cold room and walk in freezer
- Fitted furniture to the dining hall
- Finishes generally hygienic and robust
- Replacement of the M&E systems throughout
- Discrete rooftop plant area concealed by louvres
- Temporary walkway from the new kitchen to the existing dining hall to accommodate the phase overlap
The project was procured under a JCT Intermediate Building Contract 2016 with Contractor’s Design elements. With a Schedule of works, further Value Engineering and negotiation was carried out to ensure the tender was competitive, affordable for the client and deliverable to the project brief.